Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Granny Torrelli Makes Soup


I have to make it quick today because Mr. K would really like to get to Home Depot to pick out the perfect stones for our soon-to-be patio.  So without further ado, here is the publisher’s description of Granny Torrelli Makes Soup by Sharon Creech:

"Bailey, who is usually so nice, Bailey, my neighbor, my friend, my buddy, my pal for my whole life, knowing me better than anybody, that Bailey, that Bailey I am so mad at right now, that Bailey, I hate him today.

Twelve-year-old Rosie and her best friend, Bailey, don't always get along, that's true. But Granny Torrelli seems to know just how to make things right again with her interesting stories and family recipes. It's easier to remember what's important about love, life, and friendship while Granny Torrelli makes soup." (Harper Collins Publishers)

I thought this book was excellent!  It is divided into two parts: Soup and Pasta.  Throughout each section, Rosie, the kind but fiery narrator and protagonist, sits in the kitchen with Granny Torrelli and tells her about new problems with her long-time friend Bailey.  Granny does what most adults (including myself) sometimes have a hard time doing: she just listens.  When she’s not listening, she’s telling Rosie a relatable story about her own childhood, resulting in an amused and/or shocked Rosie and reader.  Of course, Granny’s stories, like her soup, are deep with meaning and flavor, and affect the way Rosie thinks about her friendship with Bailey.

My favorite part of this book is the way Sharon Creech created distinct and authentic voices for her characters.  They seemed like real people whose homes I would want to be invited to for dinner again and again.  Rosie is smart and a little cocky, with a temper that gets her into a decent amount of trouble.  This is something to which I can relate!  Granny is funny, deceptively sharp, and always beaming with warmth.  I wish she were a part of my family and you will too if you give this book a try!   

No comments:

Post a Comment